Thursday 29 March 2012

Evaluation Question 2...


How does your media product represent a particular social group?
The social group that I am hoping to aim my magazine at are generally known as 'Folkies.' I have designed my magazine in the way that I think would attract this certain group. When people hear the word 'Folk' they tend to just imagine old men with beards drinking beer with bells around their ankles and waving hankies about. I want to try and get rid of that stereotype by creating this magazine which is aimed at the younger generation of Folkies in hope that other young adults may find it appealing. The style of my magazine is similar to magazines such as RollingStone and Spex. They aren't necessarily the same genre as my magazine but they both use similar photos and the same sort of layout. The colours I used on my front cover and throughout my magazine represent the genre well as most people associate folk with the colour green. I chose my cover artist  as I think he has the 'Folk look' about him. He's not clean shaven with nice gelled hair and smart clothes. Instead he's got facial hair, fairly messed up hair and a creased shirt on which I think reflects the genre well as folk musicians don't tend to bother about their appearance too much. Also I chose the photo where he isn't looking at the camara which is usually a good technique to use as it draws the reader in however folk music isn't about drawing people in, they don't go out of their way to get noticed, it is all very laid back. Folk artists mainly just play the music they enjoy and hope that others will enjoy it with them. They don't choose to go out of their comfort zone to get more followers.

My contents page represents my social group mainly because of the colour scheme I have used and the props in the photos along with the models I chose in the photos. The writting is simple and to the point and the photos still focus on the music aspect with the instruments on show linking to the folk genre and the morris dancers in the top photo. A couple of the dancers may be slightly older than the age group I am aiming for but folk people look past the age and just see them as performers or musicians. Also as you can see in the photo they have great big smiles and are holding up their mugs full of beer which is a very common aspect of the Morris tradition. Again i've kept with the same colour scheme as on the front cover as green is the best way to promote a folk based magazine.


My double page spread definitely represents a folk social group I think mainly because of the colours and photo used. I think that because the artist would actually fit into the target audience, he represents the social group perfectly. I wanted to keep the interview very informal and relaxed in the way that the representative social group would act and speak so that they could relate to it a lot easier.

No comments:

Post a Comment